Let's say that you are a new employee.
Let's say that you arrive at a new station for the first time.
Let's say that when you arrive, one of the crew members already there is washing the ambulance.
What is your next move?
1. Start helping with the ambulance washing without being told. And while washing the ambulance, ask pertinent questions about our treatment protocols, divisional policies, etc.
2. Go inside the station, stay inside and check out Robin Meade on the TV for a bit and then walk outside to chit chat and watch the other person finish washing the ambulance.
3. Stand around and talk on your cell phone or send text messages, while the other person finishes washing the ambulance.
4. Stand around, eat your bagel, and ask "So, do we get much trauma around here?", while your co-worker finishes washing the ambulance.
5. Wait until the other person finishes washing the ambulance, then dump out the wash bucket, put new soap in it, and start washing your personal vehicle.
If you answered anyting but #1, then you're wrong. And if I am at that other person washing the ambulance, you are in for a really, really bad day.
Probably more than one.