If, in moving through your life, you find yourself lost...go back to the last place where you knew who you were, and what you were doing, and start from there. Bernice Johnson Reagon.

15 September 2012

Update...

The first 24-hour shift is over. Another is Monday, and that is when I start my 24/72 rotation.

Things learned the first few shifts (mostly 12s, with a couple of over-nighters).

1. It's been a long time since I slept close to a busy railraod track. The station I will be at starting next month is real close to the main north-south CSX track (complete with numerous freight trains and AMTRAK 24/7, including the AUTO TRAIN and TROPICANA orange juice trains). I'll get used to it. (I also noticed that the station I am at starting next month has an outdoor fire siren- I wonder if it is in use? Note to self- ask that question.

2. There is something peaceful, however, about the sound of a train passing through a small town.

3. It is nice to not have to rely on fast food for meals during a shift.

4. There are a lot of new faces around, and things have changed around the county while I have been gone.

5. It'll take a little while to get used to it, but it is nice hearing a real person on the pager.

6. I've met some really good people so far.

7. The enormity of things has really hit home. For the past few years I was 10-15 minutes from a major hospital. Now I am 45 minutes from a trauma center or 24/7 cath lab in a lot of cases. Puts things in a different perspective.

8. It is really peaceful driving through the country early in the morning. The sunrises are spectacular.

9. It's pretty neat riding in an ambulance that smells new.

I will get back into a regular routine of posting soon. Right now the new job(s) (yes, that is plural) and school has been rather time consuming. I will also start posting pictures over on my Flickr site @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/9-echo-1/.

Ya'll be safe out there.

1 comment:

Christopher said...

Good luck in your new endeavors sir!