If, in moving through your life, you find yourself lost...go back to the last place where you knew who you were, and what you were doing, and start from there. Bernice Johnson Reagon.

22 September 2012

Ode To Number Four


On a long and lonesome roadway,
East of Westover
You can listen to the siren
Moanin' out it's wailing song
You can think about the sick call,
Or the fall you ran the hour before

But your thoughts will soon be wanderin',
The way they always do
When you're ridin' 13 hours,
And there's so much left to do
And you don't feel much like ridin',
You just wish this shift was through

Here I am, on Number 4 again,
There I am, back on the bench
There I go, playin' star again,
There I go, run the call

So you walk into this restaurant,
All strung out from the road
And you hear the pager sqawkin’,
As you're turnin’ now to leave
You pretend it doesn't bother you,
But you just want to explode
Yeah, most times you can't hear 'em talk,
Other times you can
All the same old cliché's,
It’s an ambulance driver man
And you always seem outnumbered,
You don't dare make a stand

Make your stand

But here I am, on Number 4 again,
There I am, back on the bench
Here I go, runnin’ a call again,
There I go, turn the page

Wo-oh

Out there on a sick call,
It seems a million miles away
Every ounce of energy,
It slowly drains away
And the stress runs through your body,
As you struggle through the day

Later in the evenin',
As you’re finally drivn’ home
With the echoes of the pagers,
Still ringin' in your head
You drink the day’s last energy drink,
Rememberin' what she said

What she said

“EMS4, move up to…”
“EMS4, sick call…”
“EMS4, fall…”
“EMS4, move up to…”

Yeah, and here I am,
On Number 4 again,
There I am, back on the bench
Here I go, runnin’ a call again,
There I go, turn the page
And there I go, turn that page

There I go, yeah, Here I go, yeah, yeah
There I go, yeah, Here I go, yeah
Here I go, There I go

And I'm gone

With my apologies to Bob Seger and Metallica...

No comments: